Monday, September 3, 2012

Poetic City

My good friend Kate took this picture and sent it to me as an example of Love in NY, so I asked her to write a guest post to accompany her picture. Here is what she had to say...

Every day, millions of New Yorkers traverse the streets of this enchanting city. An omnipresent mistress, she brings so much joy to those who experience her, but at times, may seem unbearably cruel. Those that dwell within her are willing to endure the frigid winters, sweltering summers, and throngs of often-infuriating tourists all because they love their City with such passion that to leave would be to leave behind a piece of themselves.

Walking through Washington Square Park, I came upon this poem, written in chalk on the ground. It perfectly articulated the feelings I've harbored for the City ever since grade school, and captured the sentiment that countless others have undoubtedly felt before me. It made me realize that, like a lover of any other sort, the City evokes that rush of adrenaline and passion analogous with your first true love. Once you are touched by its allure, nothing and nowhere else will ever compare.

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment